Present: Emperor Stephanus Galtier Senators: Booker Beningborough, Gaius Cassius Varro Aquillius, Tybalt Caproni, Nero Creticus Antonius Drakon, Markus Pompeius-Vindelici Citizens: Zarek Antonius, Lucius Parthicus Dii Consentes, Torgis Aquillius Parthicus, Strymon Parthicus Dii Consentes. Misk, Qarbon Kamala Parthicus, Cosmos Lux Aquillius, Luca Hadrianvs, Trajan Karu, Antoni Arabello, Lukas Rachel, Justin Rachel, Milo Leone Elen, Cato Leone, Aurelius Aquillius-Phoenix, Alexus Aquillius-Phoenix, Petrus Pompeius-Vindelici, Stef Antonius Drakon, Alex Bonham, RegulusAntius Rufus, Bruno Germanus, Bobbi Baiae, Hayt Artorius Aurelius, Josh Argenteus Aurelius, tim, Leon Polda, Tod, Leonidos Warden-Vindelici
Apologies: Rad Parthicus, Januarius Vindelici, Kaeso Parthicus
I. ANNOUNCEMENTS & APPOINTMENTS
- Senator Mercurius is retiring from the Senate and will now be Senator Emeritus. He has served Romanum well since the beginnings of our Empire.
- There also has been a new appointment to the Senate. Nҽɾσ Cɾҽƚιƈυʂ Aɳƚσɳιυʂ Dɾαƙσɳ will now be filling the role of Senator. Nҽɾσ Cɾҽƚιƈυʂ Aɳƚσɳιυʂ Dɾαƙσɳ: It is an honor to serve this community. I did want to clarify that Zarek will have my father Marcus' proxy, not mine.
- Strymon Parthicus Dii Consentes: Just wanted to say that Senator Rad apologise that he wasn't able to be here. He was kept by RL, but is sending his warm greetings to the Emperor, his colleagues and everyone. Our hearts go out to Senator Rad at this time.
- The 7th Anniversary and Olympics Events were a great success. Emperor Stephanus Galtier: I was very thrilled by the participation and very grateful for the very hard work of the organizers and every one else that helped out. Only 3 years until our 10th anniversary.
Report of the events co-ordinators Kaeso Aquillius Parthicus, Januarius Vindelici, Markus Pompeius Vindelici: 1 We want to give our thanks to all those who joined in the Olympics and other events, in March. We believe the celebrations were successful and demonstrated the true spirit of Romanum. In particular we thank the Emperor and Lord Regulus. for their support. We thank the sponsors the Antonius, Aquillius, Baiae, Confero, Parthicus and Vindelici/Pompeia families, and Marcus Claudius, Kylv and Hunter. We thank you all - Competitors, organisers, performers, DJs, hosts, tippers spectators. 2 We have sent a proposal to the Collegivm Pontificvm, for monthly temple services, in each of our main temples. 3 We would like to encourage residents to open their houses for the occasional party.
- Emperor Stephanus Galtier:I want to congratulate Senator Markus' marriage to ƤЄƬƦƲŞ.
II. LAG ISSUE
Emperor Stephanus Galtier: So we deployed our new city. A beautiful city which is very authentic to ancient Rome in 147CE. We took advantage of Linden Lab's 30,000 prim allowance. Romanum I added 10,000 prims and is now at 25,000 prims. And as a result, lag increased for many people in Romanum I and some in Romanum V, including ME! Needless to say, that upset me. And I feel bad for those who suffer more lag. So we undertook a thorough investigation on what can be done about it. I have been issuing reports in the last few weeks on the lag issue. So you all know what we have been doing. A key thing we did was create a web page dedicated to the lag issue (http://www.romanum.net/second-life). I have become an expert on lag, I think. I had some misconceptions on lag and I think a lot of people do. One major misconception is what causes more lag, scripts or textures? Scripts DO cause lag, but only when executing. And that script lag affects everyone in the Sim regardless of what altitude they are at. But many of our objects with high memory scripts, such as sex beds, only cause lag when being executed, which is every so often. The scripts that cause constant lag are the scripts always running, like moving objects or objects that scan or objects that communicate with a web server. So, yes, we care about scripts. But what I have come to understand is texture lag, including mesh, is the biggest cause of lag, period. And this makes complete sense. Why do I say this, regarding Romanum I? Before the rebuild, Romanum had virtually the same number of object scripts. Yet lag increased, why? Textures. There are more textures per square meter in Romanum I then before with all the new buildings. Now, of course, textures on objects is not the only textures. Each of us are wearing textures. So when you have more object textures per square meter and more avatars with ever increasing complexity, lag will be very high. I now have only for Romanum I and V a new monitor (yes, it has some script lag) that measures avatars for script and texture lag. If they exceed our pretty high goals they are notified every 30 minutes. That is about as friendly and non-obtrusive we can be. As I said, I cannot tear down the new buildings, but I did delete half the new landscaping. So, I think in terms of what I can change in Romanum I and V, I have done it. We are in this together though. We must help reduce lag by reducing our avatar scripts and textures, when in Romanum I and V and especially when going to a high attendance event. I remain open to further input and suggestions, but without meaning to boast, I think we did a hell of a job in analyzing this problem and coming up with mitigation strategies. I started an online survey on this issue and got some great responses. So thank you all for your patience and understanding. I take such issues very seriously.
Ǥαιυѕ Cαѕѕιυѕ Vαяяσ Aqυιllιυѕ: On the topic of lag and the signage that our Emperor has placed, is it possible to create signs that are a little more Roman looking?
Emperor Stephanus Galtier: Gaius, you design me a texture?
Qarbon Kamala Parthicus: Even people reduce complexity to less 100K and then we all reduce our complexity rendering and draw distance to 98m it will reduce server load. It is everyone pushing their complexity level to see each other that also causes lag. The draw distance is client side.
Luca Hadrianvs: I don't know if it just helps them but since the new building. Here I put my graphics card on this SIM card on ultra and I have less lag as if my graphics card is next down. I can run only on ultra
Emperor Stephanus Galtier: If you set draw distance low, that is great if you are mostly standing still. But a low draw distance cause you more lag if you are walking a distance. It is also true if you keep your camera still, you reduce lag. If you just turn around, you have more lag. I guess it has something to do with the resolution of the textures
Emperor Stephanus Galtier: Yes! 1024x1024 cause more lag than 512x512 Qarbon Kamala Parthicus: What you observe Emperor is your cache - once set up at an event you should not change the settings if people are around. A 1024x1024 image is about 1 Mb of rendering. Mesh can have lots of surfaces each with different textures. I suggest slightly staggered starts at events as when lots of AVs arrive at the same time it causes huge lag.
Emperor Stephanus Galtier: We should allow maybe 10 minutes from our announced time to the actual start of events, maybe. But for sure, once at an event with a lot of people, it is better not to change your graphics settings or outfits then. Either do it before you arrive, or arrive early. And also, I have heard, if there are seats at an event,use them. Same with dance balls, use them rather then stand around.
Bruno Germanus: Who among us is really having a horrible time? I don't mind the lag, because I love being here when I can be. It does take time for things to render and sometimes, I have a horrible time moving but for the most part it has ALWAYS been a part of Romanum's culture to suffer this type of lag. Emperor Stephanus Galtier: Thank you Bruno for your sweet words. Surely the community is most important here. But as a Sim owner, it is my responsibility to help people with technical issues too and I will do my best. Some may leave Romanum over the new lag. Some may avoid Romanum I. That is unfortunate but I understand. As long as I have done my due diligence. That is all I can do
ƛԼЄҲƲŞ ƛQƲƖԼԼƖƲŞ-ƤӇƠЄƝƖҲ: I believe the issue of excessive lag is commonplace all over Second Life not just Romanum.
IV. PETITIONS & FUTURE ACTIVITIES
- Tiberivs Hadrianvs: proposal to promote Romanum on YouTube and other Internet media channels. Emperor Stephanus Galtier: I LOVE Tiberius' idea of further promotion on other Internet sites. I am in the process of adding Photos and Videos to our Romanum site and some of that is YouTube.
- Zarek Antonius: suggestion to use the two Romanum groups for different message announcements, the Empire one for official business, the VIP one for parties and promotions. Emperor Stephanus Galtier: I appreciate Zarek's idea and it does seem like VIPs and Empire groups overlap and some are in both groups. The original purpose of VIPs were for those who were not citizens yet. The Empire group was for citizens. Now, I usually send the same notices to both groups so I catch every one. Those already in the Empire group may quit the VIPs group. That is if we do not change the purpose of the VIPs group. Zarek Antonius: During my work for the Senator’s Ball, I found many people saying they didn’t know what I was talking about when I IM'd them individually. One even commented "if i saw all the notices he received…” In light of this, I would highly recommend that we devise a protocol for the use of the two groups - so that those who wish to stay informed about official Romanum business know to subscribe/follow the Empire group and those who wish to be informed about more general events (like weekly parties and dances) can subscribe/follow to the VIP group - and of course, those who wish to know about both can subscribe/follow to both. I think this would greatly help and would prevent multiple notices about the same event being sent to BOTH groups - a bit annoying, in my opinion (not only here but whenever it’s done in multiple groups for the same sims/areas of SL). With more and more events, it is becoming quite packed with notices but knowing that the VIP group is for non-Citizens, it's helpful to know we can leave that group to cut down on them. Emperor Stephanus Galtier: I like Zarek's idea but rather than changing the purpose of VIPs I think we should have an Events group for Romanum. All events and only events should go to that group. Anyone think differently? If we start a new Events group, how do we get 700 people to join that group from the Empire and VIPS groups? Ǥαιυѕ Cαѕѕιυѕ Vαяяσ Aqυιllιυѕ: Begging your pardon but I am not sure limiting the groups in this fashion is wise. Many people are only in one of the groups and will not receive all the information and what constitutes official business. Many people roleplay in the both the groups I'm not sure why we need to designate them in this manner. Also as far as I can see events dances and what nots are official business, so are adds for shops as they help the merchants sell there wears which in turn helps keep Romanum I paid for and our Emperor healthy. I think it will be just to complicated to divide them up the way this has been suggested. and adding groups is well ugh. Luca Hadrianvs: Is it necessary. the shop owner. broadcast advertising in the group. I think we all know. where are the shops. It is too much. the essential is at some point. no longer read. Tybalt Caproni: I think the reason sending to VIPS (non-citizens) is Important is because it helps draw in new interested men that otherwise wouldn't know what's happening and helps bring new blood. I have a ton of groups. I turn OFF notices & chat to some my self, in order to stem the flow of spam & everyone has that option. I also was wondering how those 700 might know to join a new Events group. An idea but I think the way it is now works well (annoying at times Yes! but individuals can stop what they don't want themselves by un-checking receiving stuff). Zarek Antonius: if a clear definition is put out about what each group is for and then disseminated to those groups, that will help. If this can’t be done, I welcome ideas about getting announcements out that require action and making sure action is taken. If that’s not possible, then so be it, but then those who do miss notices need to not be surprised or complain that they did not know about something put out in the Empire Group. Emperor Stephanus Galtier: An important point about the Empire group, which is invitation only. Only those in the Empire group can rez prims in Romanum. This is a protection against griefers. But yes, unless you need to send a notice on VIPS, if you are in Empire, you should quit VIPs. But another important point about event notifications. We have a calendar both in the Welcome Center and our website. So in addition to sending out notices people can use those resources to find out about events. So I no longer want to create an Events group. We will keep VIPs and Empire as is. The only thing is, I will encourage people to quit VIPs once they are in Empire. Qarbon Kamala Parthicus: Promoters need to be in both groups. A thought why not have a description of "Official" Groups as a TAB on the Romanum.net ? Zarek Antonius: Thank you for all of this information, it is helpful. In light of all this, perhaps we could come up with some sort of Identifier at the beginning of notices for events - EVNT and another for official business - OFBS - and something for Parties/dances - PART - something like that so we can easily know what the notice is about and decide if we need/want to ready it. This would also hep in the group when scrolling through the past notices. I use this type of system in my rl work and it help immensely. Emperor Stephanus Galtier: Yes, I like Zarek's idea. Let me think of what prefixes to add to Notice titles. As to what Qarbon said, our website needs a Groups page defining each group, how to join, etc.
- Mr Romanum Romantic Dancing at the Drake-Etchegaray villa
- Tellus Temple tribute to the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus on 12APR.
- Hayt Anatra: the smithy up and running again, He is making a set of shields. If any of the houses would like personalized shields, please let him have a copy of your logo and he'll be happy to make some for you. They're not only useful for defense but make great wall ornaments too.
Next Senate meeting 14MAY 11am SLT. The scribe's office is looking for an assistant to take on scribe duties for this meeting because the scribe will be out of the empire on this date.