SENATUS POPULUSQUE ROMANUM
SENATE open meeting 10 DEC
Emperor Stephanus Galtier
Senators: Nero Creticus Antonius Drakon, Wolf Confero, Uncasnow, Tybalt Caproni, Janu Shimada Vindelici, Miles Maximus, Stef Endriago Antonius Drakon, Eryx Ethchegaray-Drake, Gaius Antigos, Markus Vindelici
Citizens: Aurelius Romanov-Phoenix, Lesly Lyanoy-Phoenix, Alexi Romanov-Phoenix, Mardrakus Hekatos, Quinttin, Xanthus Phoenix, Caivs Mercvrivs Karv, Rugger, Wes Baiae Etchegaray-Drake, Dale Stromfield, Syrus Etchegaray-Drake, Jay Richards
Apologies: Booker Beningborough
Proxies: Strymon Parthicus for Rad Parthicus
I. EMPIRE RELATIONS
The new province of Karuvium (land of the Karu) has decided to align itself with the Romanum Empire.
Emperor Stephanus Galtier: I am pleased to announce my frater, Mercurius and his husband Caius (here today) and founded a new province Karuvium and they will be a province of Romanum fully allied with us. Mercurius retains his estate here in Romanum but their new province has much to see and do and more importantly a wonderful group of people who I consider family. I will be sending a notecard later on Karuvium.
Wolf Confero: Will we have an information board in the Welcome center about Karuvium?
Emperor Stephanus Galtier: We should. Perhaps Caius can create one.
II. ROMANUM GOVERNANCE RESTRUCTURING
Emperor Stephanus Galtier: We tried, as Romanum Sim owners, to meet last night to finalize our constitution proposal. Unfortunately one owner was not there. So we will postpone until January. I remain committed to this and we will get it done.
Wes Baiae Etchegaray-Drake: I have one question concerning Senators here in Romanum. We have several who are no longer here in Romanum or are very inactive due to long absences. What is the plan to replace these or has it been considered.
Emperor Stephanus Galtier: Our new constitution will formalize an informal rule we have now that Senators must attend Senate meetings or appoint a proxy. If they do neither after a certain number of meetings they will be relieved of their position unless there are extenuating circumstances. As to replacing a Senator removed, we may or may not do that depending on the circumstances, Right now we do not have a set number of Senators Romanum should have.
Wes Baiae Etchegaray-Drake: has a number of absences been discussed and the extenuating circumstances that are being considered pertain to different time zones and work issues.
Emperor Stephanus Galtier: Our DRAFT constitution says 6 meetings in a row, closed and open. But if a Senator appoints a proxy, he is not considered absent. As to special circumstances, the Sim owners would consider those, but I am thinking something like serious illness. Real life work is probably not an excuse because he could appoint a proxy. My opinion.
Janu Shimada Vindelici: We are at present required to appoint proxies if absent. Perhaps that could be recorded in the minutes.
Scribe: I record proxies when they are reported to me.
Strymon O. Aemilius Parthicus: I have already reported to the Emperors scribe, but to make it more official, I am appointed as my father's proxy anytime he is not able to come
III. CITY ACTIVITIES
Janu Shimada Vindelici:
- Congratulations to the new Mr Romanum, and all the other competitors who gave a great show. Mr Romanum Zander; Second Ŀucα Mıѕէωօօժ Hαժriαηνѕ; Third Willstar - (Prize money 4000, 2000 and 1000 paid). Our thanks to Prince Jin for all his work on the dances. Also to our audiences for their patience and support. My personal thanks to Markus who did all the hard work.
- Saturnalia 14 Dec @ 12 Blessing by Pontifex Maximus, opening ceremony and entertainment at the Marcellum theatre; 15 Dec at 12 Banquet. Romanum forum. Regular dances at the Tavern, Olympus, Pompeii etc. Also Gladiators, chariots and Legion. We are hoping to arrange an orgy, 17 Dec @ 3pm. Anyone interested in assisting, please contact the co-ordinators. If anyone wants assistance in planning other events, please contact us: Janu Shimada Vindelici (januarius), Kaeso Parthicus (markpits), Markus Vindelici (marcanton.zehetbauer) Events co-ordinators
- The Parthicus Inn and Galleria de Ars buildings are being replaced by a single construction.
- The Socratic Academy is now on Fridays at 9am. A survey has been conducted on the educational and training needs of Romanum citizens and suggestions for courses. The Collegivm Romanum will need to be relaunched in the new year to meet this demand. The survey results have been tabled on the Romanum.net website.
Ixion Parthicus: Thank you all for filling the survey, most interesting, the new slot is much better now. I hope it will spur the Collegivm to organize more courses for which there is definite interest such as building, roman culture and language.
Wes Baiae Etchegaray-Drake: I feel this would be very beneficial to new citizens coming in and being able to learn the culture, language, I would also like to suggest that information be available on the events and meanings of them.
- The Forum market in the city centre has been expanded and offers shopping space available for retailers.
IV. DISCUSSION ON THE CO-ORDINATORS TEAM
Wes Baiae Etchegaray-Drake: I would like to see others included on the coordinator team, we have many talented people in Romanum who can assist and help bring ideas
Markus Vindelici: of course everyone is welcome to give us input and ideas for the events. Gaius and Jin are for example a good help too. Have you someone in your mind, Wes?
Janu Shimada Vindelici: We regularly ask for assistance and ideas. Generally there is silence. I’ve had discussions with a few others about planning events. Also, A few help, when called on
Wes Baiae Etchegaray-Drake: Markus, no I do not have anyone in mind, I just know that I personally have offered help while I served as Mr. Romanum and very seldom was it ever acknowledged and possible with some of the members of the Coordinator team being in different time zones, it would benefit Romanum. And Janu, I know you have tried hard to include others in events but sometimes some of the regular citizens of Romanum are intimidated by Senators, feeling they are experienced enough.
Nҽɾσ Cɾҽƚιƈυʂ Aɳƚσɳιυʂ Dɾαƙσɳ: First, my understanding has always been that the coordinator team is responsible for some key annual events like saturnalia or the Olympics, but other events are generated through the citizens and community leaders and may or may not ask for assistance from the coordinators. On that second point, I have been working with Kaeso Parthicus on planning for a Chariot road race (our own grand prix) that we hope to schedule in January. It is a collaborative effort, but done with my initiative. I don't think the coordinators can possible plan and implement every event - but we do want them retained for these big annual things.
Markus Vindelici: of course everyone is free to plan events, parties, whatever so you don't need to have the word "co-ordinator" on your forehead. The co-ordinator team is mainly responsible for the big events and as janu said, open for any idea of others.
Wes Baiae Etchegaray-Drake: So Markus are you telling me in front of the Senators that no one else is needed on your team
Markus Vindelici: if you would read my words right then you would know that everyone is welcome to help us.
Wes Baiae Etchegaray-Drake: to help.
Emperor Stephanus Galtier: He means a regular member of your team, Markus
Janu Shimada Vindelici: Appointment is by the Emperor. If he wants to appoint more, it is his decision. Also, we might suggest others, I’m sure.
Wolf Confero: I believe Wes is saying the Event Coordinators should add another team member. I would offer, that if someone wished to join the event coordinator group, then that person would approach the current event coordinators and the Emperor and a decision would be made from that.
Emperor Stephanus Galtier: I agree. First, do Markus, janu and Kaeso need a 4th member, if yes, then we can work to find such a person.
Markus Vindelici: we are about to add 2 more members, Gaius and Jin.
Wes Baiae Etchegaray-Drake: I know some may think my comment are self centered, but i assure you they are not. My concern is for Romanum and the good of our community.
Strymon O. Aemilius Parthicus: just as personal observation, everyone is free to organize events in Romanum, but I personally think it is more ordered when they are whole Empire events, us to have the proven team in charge of them. Still anyone is free to get in touch with them ant to offer help. By proving himself he may be added to the team too.
Wes Baiae Etchegaray-Drake: It is great the two more are being added to the Coordinator team, my question is was any type of announcement put out that anyone interested should contact the Emperor or the Coordinator, or were these hand chosen?
Nҽɾσ Cɾҽƚιƈυʂ Aɳƚσɳιυʂ Dɾαƙσɳ: I want to clarify that it is my understanding that appointments such as this go through the Emperor, correct? To help ensure balance and a good mix of deserving men, etc.
Wolf Confero: As with any official role in Romanum, the Emperor has to agree to the appointment. No one is appointed to any official roles in Romanum, without first getting his seal of approval. People may be suggested to him, or he may search them out...each case is different, but he always has final say.
Markus Vindelici: to answer Wes question, of course we need the approval of the emperor first but we would like to see Gaius in the team because he is experienced in RP and Jin as our choreograph.
Emperor Stephanus Galtier: Let me state this: The only coordinators I have officially appointed was Markus and Janu. I gave them the ability to add others as needed. They added Kaeso. They are now considering Jin and Gaius. But markus and Janu are the primary coordinators. If any citizen wants to help or even be a coordinator, they should ask markus or Janu.
Wes Baiae Etchegaray-Drake: Emperor, my question I asked was any type of notice published, and I understand that we have good men working on this committee, but we have many other men who may have hidden talents that Markus and Janu are unaware of and until they meet them how would they even know.
Wolf Confero: No notice was published, because none has been needed. We have many talented people in Romanum. Some of those people already knew where to go and who to talk to, and now we have people like Gaius and Jin working with the other Even Coordinators. So no, no notice was sent out, because up till this meeting, no one had even brought up a "need" for more to be added. I am sure, if they find a need, and they do not have someone in their "back pocket" so to speak already, they will be sending a notice.
Wes Baiae Etchegaray-Drake: "in their back pocket", that says a lot.
Emperor Stephanus Galtier: Wes, to acknowledge your point, I would suggest as each new major event approaches or even on a permanent basis, if Markus and janu would like to get more help or another coordinator, they send a notice and interview the candidates. But I trust markus and janu to make those decisions. I also want to say I understand kaeso is now considered a full coordinator as Markus and Janu, my only point was markus and Janu asked kaeso to join them.
Miles Maximus: I must say that that was an outrageous comment, Wes.
Janu Shimada Vindelici: Miles said it. Markus Kaeso and I have given god knows many hours over the last two years. If people think we are corrupt, I will happily resign now. I don't give my time to run a corrupt business. I personally give lindens as prizes. No other Senators offered to sponsor Mr Romanum.
Emperor Stephanus Galtier: We appreciate to no end the time Markus and Janu and Kaeso have given. And I know Wes was making a genuine point. We did our best to address that. So lets move on.
V. EVENT SCHEDULING GUIDELINES
Official Guidelines for scheduling events and advertising them in the Romanum Groups or having them placed on the Romanum Calendar. A notecard covering this was sent out to the Empire group. Also here: http://www.romanum.net/event-scheduling
Wes Baiae Etchegaray-Drake: If an event is posted in the Romanum group, the dress for the event is roman attire, does this mean dances advertised
Wolf Confero: just because an event is posted on the calendar, or is advertised in the Romanum groups, it does not mean it is an IC event, requiring Roman/ancient attire
CAIVS MERCVRIVS KARV: Olympus is always OOC and always has been.
VI. BUSINESS FROM THE FLOOR
- Emperor Stephanus Galtier: I just want to say again how much I appreciate our family of citizens. Their continued support for Romanum and one another. Sometimes our debates can be heated but we all care about Romanum and each other.
- Wes Baiae Etchegaray-Drake: First I would like to thank the committee for the wonderful job they did on the Mr. Romanum pageant, The coordinators and contestants put in a tremendous amount of work on an event like this. I would also like to congratulate Zander on his reign as Mr. Romanum 2018 and urge the Senators, and citizens to offer their support. Third, even though lag cause many problems, I would offer one suggestion about possibly moving it into a skybox nest year to help with lag issues.
- Mardrakus Hekatos: I am currently having a challenge with noise. I recently acquired a new villa in Romanum II, but there is a Saturnalia advertisement that shoots off fireworks nearby, which affects my parcel. I was wondering if the advertisement could be moved or quieted? Given my ringing ears, the empire must be spending a fortune on the around-the-clock fireworks. It seems to come from the corner property on the ocean side.
- Wolf Confero: I want to end with this.We are a community, a community of many different backgrounds and ideas.And we may not always get along. But I hope that regardless of our personal feelings we remember that each of us here has a role to fulfill, and each of us does the best they can in that role. You may not always agree with what someone else does, but you should always respect their right to do it their way. We should always be careful of our words. Words are often sharper than the swords yielded by our Legion. I hope that we all remember that and respect each other.
Next open Senate meeting: Sunday 14 January at 11am SLT.
Ixion Parthicus Ἰξίων Παρθικος